How To Create A Gmail Account Without A Phone Number
Last Updated: November 5, 2020
Although including a phone number when you’re creating a Gmail account gives it more security and protection, not everyone is a fan of the idea. Some people don’t like sharing personal information online, while others find it unnecessary. Whichever the case, you can opt to create an account without a phone number.
Due to an increasing amount of fake accounts, spammers, and bots online, a lot of email service providers now ask users for their phone number when creating a new account. While this can help verify the user’s identity and add an extra layer of protection to their emails, some people don’t like the idea of sharing too much personal data online.
Thankfully, this feature is optional on Google accounts. In most cases, people can skip adding and verifying their number when creating a new account and proceed with the other steps.
So if you’re planning to create a new account without a phone number, check our quick guide below. Whether you’re on a computer or Android device, we got you covered.
Create a Gmail account from your computer without using a phone number
Usually, adding a phone number when creating an account is optional. All you have to do is leave that optional information blank and continue with the other steps.
But in case you’re not familiar with Gmail, here’s a step-by-step tutorial on how to create an account on your computer:
- On your web browser, visit Gmail and proceed to create a new personal account.
- Add your name, username, password, and click Next.
- Leave the phone number details blank and proceed to fill up your birthday, gender, and recovery email (optional). Click Next.
Create a Gmail account from Android without using a phone number
There are a lot of ways to create a Google account from your mobile phone. You can create and access your account settings on any Google app. But in this case, we’ll sign-up through the Account settings on your phone.
- Open Settings on your device.
- Click Accounts.
Note: The interface of phone settings may differ depending on the manufacturer.
- Add a new account and select Google.
- Instead of signing-in, click “Create account.” From the two choices, select “For myself” to create a personal account. Take note that business accounts require a phone number for security purposes.
- Enter your name in the empty fields and click Next.
- Add your birthday and gender.
- Pick an email address from the suggestions or choose to create a new one.
- Add a password to protect your account. Since you’re not planning to add a phone number to provide more security to your account, make sure to use a mixture of numbers, letters, and symbols to improve the strength of your password.
- Skip the process of adding a phone number.
- Read the “Privacy and Terms,” head over to the bottom of the page, and click “I agree” to finish creating a new account.
After signing up, you can open the Gmail app and proceed to log-in. If you have another email on the app, click your profile icon and switch your account.
How to remove your phone number from Google
If the methods above don’t work, you can borrow your friend’s number or use a virtual one to continue creating a Google account. After signing up, you can then log in to the platform and remove the phone number through the settings.
Follow this quick step-by-step guide to remove the phone number on your Gmail account:
- Open Gmail on your web browser and sign in.
- Click your profile icon at the top right corner of the screen and select “Manage your Google account.”
- Under “Personal Info,” look for the “Contact info” section and click your phone number.
- Click your phone number once again to manage its settings.
- Click the delete icon and click “Remove number” to confirm your decision.
In most cases, Google doesn’t require users to add their phone number when creating an account. So unless you’re in a public connection that a lot of other people used to create their email accounts, you can skip the process of adding a phone number during your registration and continue with the next steps to create your Gmail account.
Just remember that to use a strong password since you lose out on some advanced security and user verification features that are only possible with a phone number.
That’s it! We hope that our guide helped you in creating an account without verifying it through a phone number. If you want a lot more tutorials, tips, and tricks, bookmark us and visit our page every day for updates.