How To Create A Forum Channel On Discord
Last Updated: September 28, 2022
Do you want to have organized discussions on your Discord server? Are you having trouble starting one on a text channel due to the number of people that try to reply? If so, you can start a forum channel on the app. Check our quick guide below, and we’ll teach you how to do so.
Although Discord is a place where you can hang out and discuss with other people online, starting new topics and discussions can be quite difficult on text channels since other users can easily talk over them.
Thankfully, the app introduced a new type of channel that you can create on your servers. With the help of forum channels, server members can now start organized discussions without worrying about other users.
With the help of forum channels, users can start discussions contained within posts, making it easier for others to jump right in. Here’s our guide about setting up a forum on Discord.
How to set up a forum channel on Discord
If you want to set up a space for organized discussions on Discord, you can create a forum channel on your server. In this way, you can talk about different topics without worrying about talking over one another.
You can create forum channels whether you’re using Discord on your phone or desktop. Follow our step-by-step tutorial below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
Note: You can only create forum channels on community servers on the app.
On your phone:
- Launch the Discord mobile app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open the menu, head to one of the servers you manage, and tap the plus icon beside the Text Channels section.
- Set the channel’s name, choose “Forum” as its type, and tap the Create option in the top right corner to continue.
- After creating the channel, tap the people icon on the conversation header and select Settings from the menu.
- Add guidelines, create tags, and change the permission settings for the channel to choose which users can access, reply to, and post within the forum.
That’s how you set up a forum from the Discord mobile app for Android. You can assign roles through the channel settings to choose which users can post within the forum.
On your computer:
- Launch the Discord desktop app or visit their web client and sign in to your account.
- Select one of your servers on the sidebar and click the plus icon beside the Text Channel section to create a new channel.
- Select “Forum” as the channel type, add a name, and click the Create Channel button.
- Click the gear icon beside the channel’s name under the Text Channels section to edit the forum settings.
Please note that you can make your forum private within the server. You can choose to select the people that can join and participate in the discussion.
By default, forum posts disappear after a day of inactivity. However, you can change the channel settings and make the limit longer.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to create forums on Discord, you can now start organizing discussions on your server. You can start the discussions by clicking the New Post option at the top of the channel.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.