How To Create A Community On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: January 15, 2023
Do you want a secure space on Microsoft Teams for conversations with other people on the app? Or do you want to connect with multiple people in a single conversation on your account? Either way, you can start a community on the app. You can use this feature to create a conversation for fan groups, projects, businesses, and many more.
Your Microsoft Teams personal account allows you to connect with your friends and family outside of work. You can start one-on-one chats with other people or create groups to connect with users in a single chat.
Aside from these basic features, you can start a community on the app. Compared to regular groups, communities allow the creator to set guidelines for the chat members to help manage the conversation and the participants.
Here’s our guide to creating a community on Teams.
How to start a community on your Microsoft Teams personal account
If you want to meet more people that share your interests on your Microsoft Teams personal account, you can create a community on the app. After creating your community, you can invite more people to join it by sharing an invitation link or QR code that they can use to access the group.
You can create a community on your Teams personal account while you’re using the mobile app. Check our tutorial below, and we’ll show you the steps to do so.
On your phone:
- Launch the Teams mobile app and sign in to your personal account.
- Head to the home tab and tap the icon in the top right corner to create a new community.
- Choose from one of the templates or create a community from scratch. In our tutorial, we’ll go with the latter option.
- Add the community’s name, photo (optional), description (optional), and guidelines (optional), and tap Create on the top right to continue.
- Choose the members you want to include in your community and tap Add on the top right. Alternatively, you can tap Skip on the top right corner if you don’t plan to invite people right away.
That’s how you create a community on your Teams personal account. Aside from adding your contacts as members of the community, you can share a link or QR code to invite more people to join.
As the owner of the community, you have permission to manage its members, including removing existing ones and adding more people. Each community can host up to 1000 members, so you have enough room to create a big group for events and discussions.
If you ever change your mind, you can always delete the community whenever you want. However, always remember that doing so erases the community permanently.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to start a community on Teams, you can now create one to connect with people of the same interests. As the owner, you have more control over the chat members and the messages that comes through the conversation.
That’s everything! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.