How To Create A Channel On Zoom
Last Updated: February 28, 2022
Do you want to create a group in Zoom where you can send messages, images, and files? Or do you want to create a conversation where you can start instant meetings with its members? In any case, you can create a public or private channel on Zoom. Check our quick guide below to learn how.
Aside from being a good video conferencing app, you can use Zoom to chat and message your friends and other users on the app without hosting or joining a meeting. Users can start a conversation with their contacts and share messages, images, and files.
On top of that, you can also create public or private channels on the app to create a group chat for your friends or other members of an organization. Within a channel, users can share messages, files, or start instant meetings with the chat participants.
Here’s our guide about creating a new channel on Zoom.
How to create your channel on Zoom
If you want to conversate with a group of people on Zoom, you can start your own channel on the app. You can make your channels private or public depending on your preference.
You can create channels on the Zoom app whether you’re on your phone or computer. We’ll cover the steps you need to know on both app versions.
On your computer:
- Launch the Zoom desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Contacts tab.
- Click the plus icon on the left sidebar and select the “Create a Channel” option from the menu.
- Add the channel’s name and select its type.
- Choose whether to enable external users, add the channel members (optional), and click the Create Channel option at the bottom of the window.
That’s how you create a channel on the Zoom desktop app. Alternatively, you can head to the Chat tab to create public and private channels on the app.
If you enabled external users, you can add people outside your organization to the channel you created. Please note that external members have slightly different privileges to internal users within the group.
On the Zoom mobile app:
- Tap Contacts at the bottom of the app.
- Tap the plus icon on the top right corner of your screen and select “Create a New Channel” on the menu.
- Add the channel’s name and select whether its type (private or public).
- Once you finish configuring the options, tap Next on the upper right corner of the app.
- Add the channel members (optional) and tap Create on the upper right corner to create the new channel.
Always remember that public channels allows anyone within your organization to join. On the other hand, you’ll need to send out invitations to add people to a private channel.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to create a channel on Zoom, you can start group conversations with your friends and other users on the app. After creating the channel, you can go ahead and invite your friends to join you.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.