How To Create A Channel In Telegram
Last Updated: November 19, 2020
How do you create a Telegram channel? Telegram is a powerful, all-in-one messaging app that allows for the exchange of instant messages, management of groups and channels, bot support, and end-to-end encryption. It is one of the most popular and secure messaging apps today.
What is a Telegram Channel?
Telegram channels are groups where individuals or organizations can broadcast their public messages to much larger audiences than groups allow for. Channels offer an opportunity to reach people directly, with members of the channel being notified with each post.
Telegram Channels, compared to groups, can have an unlimited amount of subscribers. However, only administrators of the channel have the right to post. Unlike groups, channels show the name of the channel, as well as the photo, next to its messages. This is in place of Telegram displaying the person who posted the message.
Many media organizations and public figures use Telegram Channels to stay in touch with their communities. If you are an individual or group trying to start a conversation with your audience on Telegram or an organization looking to spread a message digitally, Telegram Channels are a free, effective way to reach out to your audience.
How to Set Up a Telegram Channel
There are two types of Telegram channels:
- Private channels: these channels are only accessible to subscribers and do not appear in a public search. To join a private channel, you will need to receive a link from the channel’s owner, or its administrators. Private channels are excellent tools for companies and teams, to consolidate all messages in one place. You can also use a channel for yourself to write down notes, save files, etc.
- Public channels: these channels are accessible to all users, whether they are or they aren’t subscribed to the channel. These channels are displayed in search results, and usually have shortlinks that send you to them. Public channels are great for brands that want to stay in touch with their communities.
Before we get started with creating your first Telegram Channel, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- A channel’s login name must contain between 5-32 characters.
- A channel name and bio must be no longer than 255 characters.
- Each Telegram account can create up to 10 public channels.
- There is no limit to the number of subscribers you can have on your channel.
- Users can invite up to 200 people from their contact lists to join their channel.
- Channel owners can add up to 50 administrators.
- A Telegram channel can support up to 50 bots running at the same time.
- Content and messages can be editable within 2 days of publication.
- Deleting a channel with more than 1,000 subscribers will require you to contact Telegram user support.
How to Create a Telegram Channel: Step by Step Guide
Let’s try to set up our first Telegram channel. We will be using the desktop client for this tutorial. Telegram has a uniform layout on all its versions, so this tutorial will work for any version you have on your PC, Mac, or mobile device.
Click the menu icon: the three horizontal lines on the upper left hand side of the app.
Select “New Channel.”
Choose a channel name, and an optional description for the channel. You may also choose to upload an image for your channel.
When you’re done, click “Create.”
Specify whether you want the channel to be private or public. For this tutorial, we’re making a public channel.
Set a shortlink for your channel. Make sure it’s easy to remember and is close to your channel’s name and purpose.
Once you’re content, click “Save.”
You can now start inviting your contacts. You can add up to 200 people at once. You may also choose to skip this step if you wish to promote your channel through other means.
Congratulations, you just made your first Telegram Channel! Now you can broadcast to your subscribers at any point… if you had any.
To cap this whole tutorial off, here’s how you create a Telegram channel in nine easy steps:
- Click the menu icon on the upper left hand side of the app.
- Select “New Channel.”
- Choose a channel name, description, and image.
- Click “Create.”
- Choose whether the channel should be public or private.
- Set a shortlink.
- Click “Save.”
- Invite your contacts to join.
- Congratulations, you now have a Telegram channel!
It’s very easy to set up a channel. Whether you’re a news outlet, a brand that needs to reach out, or a bunch of enthusiasts looking for like-minded people, a Telegram channel is the best way to get the word out there and keep in touch with the people who matter to you.