How To Clear Gmail Search History
Last Updated: January 12, 2020
Google has been the mother manufacturer of all the good things. The best-developed app or page created by it is Gmail. No mailing the system can replace the noteworthy merits of Gmail confers. One single thing that you always want to stay secure is the information you type in the search icon. Whenever you type your query regarding something in your Gmail search box, subsequently, it pops up as a suggestion. This turns out to be detrimental sometimes.
But, worry no more; it is not rocket science to delete the search history. Removing items from your search history has become all easy. You just need to consider some steps, and you are ready to erase the suggestions or items from Gmail’s memory. Before all of this, you have to remember that the system generated mails cannot be replaced. The only work that you have searched for can be deleted.
Steps for deleting Gmail Search History
- In the first place, if you are not logged in to your account, then do the credentials. Enter your email address or the username you generally use to sign in.
- After signing in, go to the search box of Gmail.
- As soon as you click on the search box, you will notice a Delete button or cross symbol on the right-hand side of your screen. Tap on the delete or cross option to remove the searched keyword. You can repeat the process to erase all such items present in your search history of Gmail.
If you are logging in to your account from a web browser, you can follow the above-mentioned steps to delete the search history of Gmail.
But, this process is slightly different for Android and iPhone. You will find the outline for both the platforms in this article only.
Erasing Search History on Android
- If you have an Android device, then this one is for you. Open Gmail on your Android device. Head towards the hamburger menu. The icon is present in the top-left part of your screen.
- From the ‘Settings’ option, choose for ‘General Settings.’ When you tap on the general settings option, you will find three vertical dots in the top-right corner of the screen.
- From there, you will have to click on “Clear Search History.”
- Next of the process, a pop-up will seek your confirmation to clear all the searches previously performed.
- If you agree to continue, click “clear.” If you choose to terminate from that point, you can go for the cancel option.
- Subsequently, you will notice that all your searches have volatized.
Erasing History on iOS
Some parts of the deleting search history of Gmail are different from Android. And, similarly Android differs from iOS as well. Here are the points to note when you want to erase the search memory of Gmail from your iPhone.
- Firstly, open your Gmail account from which you want to place the action. By action does not intend any physical force? You just have to sign in to your specific Gmail account to delete the search history.
- In the upper-left corner of your iOS screen, you will find a hamburger menu.
- Go for the ‘Settings’ option.
- Choose your email address.
- When you select the email address, you will be directed to a page where you will get to see a menu containing “Privacy.”
- The Privacy heading has the option for “Clear Search History.”
- When you tend to select this option, choose Clear to get the message that your action has been pushed to success.
How to confirm that you have cleared the history?
This process is irrespective of any device or platform you are using. You must have noticed a magnifying glass situated at the upper-right corner of your inbox. Search for an email that you have previously used. If you find no related searches, then it is confirmed that you have successfully deleted all the files and items from Gmail history.
This feature of Gmail inherited by Google shows that it is concerned more about the privacy of users. Deleting search history is considered to be one of the biggest features of all times. To improve the functionality of the search engine of Gmail, this feature suits in well. How often have you intended to delete your past searches but failed miserably? If yes, then do consider these steps to get your desired results. Use Gmail to communicate your issues, thoughts, business, or anything in a secured manner.