How To Change Your WhatsApp Group Settings
Last Updated: May 4, 2022
Do people on WhatsApp keep on adding you to various groups on the app? Do you want to prevent people from inviting you to join group chats that don’t pique your interest? If so, you can change your group privacy settings on the app. Follow our guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
By default, everyone that has your contact number on WhatsApp can invite you to join groups. This feature makes it easier for you to connect with your friends and other people on the app.
However, some people don’t want to join random groups on the app with other people besides their contacts. We understand that some of you want to keep your privacy while using the app.
Thankfully, WhatsApp allows its users to control which people can invite and add them to group chats. You can adjust your group privacy settings to prevent non-contacts from adding you to groups.
Here’s our guide to changing your group privacy settings on WhatsApp.
How to stop people from adding you to groups on WhatsApp
If you don’t want random people to add you to different groups on WhatsApp, you can manage and change your group privacy settings. You have the option to allow only your contacts to invite you to groups.
You can choose the people who can add you to groups whether you’re using the WhatsApp web or mobile app. Check our tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both app versions.
On your phone:
- Open WhatsApp on your device and sign in to your account.
- Tap the three dots icon on the top right corner of the app and select “Settings” from the menu.
- Head to your Account Settings.
- Go to your Privacy options.
- Select “Groups” to choose who can invite you to join groups.
- Choose to allow only your contacts to invite you to groups and tap “Done” to apply the changes.
That’s how you change your group privacy settings on WhatsApp for Android. You can also choose to add exceptions to this rule to prevent some of your contacts from adding you to group chats.
On your computer:
- Open the WhatsApp web or desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Click the three dots icon at the top of the chats list and select “Settings” from the menu.
- Go to your Privacy Settings.
- Scroll down and select “Groups.”
- Choose who can add you to group chats on the app.
If you ever change your mind, you can always update your group privacy settings. Admins that can’t add you to groups have the option to send invitations privately.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to manage your group privacy settings on WhatsApp, you can choose who can invite you to join group chats. In this way, you won’t find yourself in random chats with people you don’t know.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently and read our latest posts and updates.