How To Change Your Status On Slack
Last Updated: October 7, 2021
Do you want to let your other members know why you’re busy on Slack? How about updating your status on your current workspace? With the help of this feature, other people can check whether you’re on a meeting, on vacation, or other stuff from your profile. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to set your status on Slack.
Aside from managing your availability and setting yourself away on Slack, you can also update your status on the app. Updating your status adds an emoji or message icon to your profile, which shows a quick message to other workspace members.
You can select a status from the suggestions to your workspace or set a custom emoji with a message. In our guide below, we’ll show you everything you need to know about adding a status on Slack.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to update your current status on Slack
If you want to let your other workspace members know what you’re currently doing in Slack, you can update your status on the app. In this way, they can check why you’re unavailable, busy, or offline.
You can set a status whether you’re using the Slack app on your phone or computer. With that in mind, here are our step-by-step tutorials that show you how to do it from both.
On your computer:
- Open the Slack web or desktop app and sign in to one of your workspaces.
- Click your profile icon on the top right and select “Update your status” on the menu.
- Once the pop-up appears on your screen, choose an emoji and add a quick message. On the other hand, you can also choose from one of the suggested statuses on the app.
- Click “Clear After” and select the duration for your status. You can also pause your notifications until your status ends.
- Click the Save button to apply the changes.
Your status lasts after the set duration ends or when you clear it manually. You can also change it whenever you want.
When someone hovers over the emoji beside your name, they’ll see your full status on the app. They can also visit your profile and check it from there.
On your mobile device:
- Launch Slack and go to one of your workspaces.
- Tap “You” at the bottom right corner of the app.
- Select “Update your status” below your profile icon.
- Add a custom status or select from the suggestions for your workspace.
- Set an optional duration for your status and tap “Save” on the top right to apply the changes.
By updating your status on Slack, other workspace members can check if you’re available for a conversation or chat on the workspace. However, please note that members of other organizations on channels shared externally.
To wrap it all up
Although setting your status is optional on Slack, it is a good idea to let other workspace members what you’re currently doing from time to time. In this way, they’ll have an idea if it’s the right time to send you a message or mention you on the channels.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit our site frequently, and browse our daily posts and updates.