How To Change Your Status Message In Skype
Last Updated: January 12, 2021
Do you want your contacts to know what you’re up to on Skype? Do you want to tell them why you’re busy or unavailable on the app? Or do you want to display a short message or links to your website? In any case, you can add or edit your mood message on Skype. Follow our guide below to learn how!
Just like other messaging apps out there, Skype also allows you to display a short message on your profile. While the platform calls this feature a “mood message,” you can add anything you want on it, whether it’s a quote, an update to what you’re currently up to, or links to other webpages.
If you’re not familiar with the features of Skype, don’t worry, we’re here to help. We’ll teach you how to add or update the mood message on your profile. As a bonus, we also included a tutorial on how to set your presence status.
How to change your mood message on Skype
While your Skype status tells other people if you’re available for a quick chat, you can add a short mood message on your profile to tell other people what you’re doing. You can choose to add notes, your favorite quote, a link to your other social media profiles, or anything you want to say.
Aside from customizing your message, you can also select one from a list of suggestions from Skype. You can also customize the emoticon you use, which is visible when other people check your name on their contacts list or recent chats.
On your computer:
- Open the Skype desktop app or web browser client and sign-in to your account.
- At the upper left corner of your screen, click your profile picture.
- Under your presence status, click “Share what you’re up to” or the current message to edit it.
- Update your mood message by typing what you want on the field or selecting a template from the suggestions list.
You can also add or edit the emoticon you use by clicking on the icon beside the message field.
- After finalizing your message, click Done to save the changes.
- Launch the Skype app from your app drawer and sign-in to your account.
- Tap the three horizontal line icon at the top left corner of your screen to open the menu.
- Tap the pencil icon beside your name to add or edit your mood message.
- Enter your message on the appropriate field and tap the checkmark to save the changes.
Please note that your mood message lasts until you choose to delete or edit it. So you might want to change it from time to time so that your contacts know what you’re currently doing.
How to update your presence status on Skype
If you want to tell other users if you’re available for a chat, busy due to work, or away from your device, you have the option to change your presence status on Skype.
For those who are using Skype on their computer, you can click on the presence button beside your profile picture to change your status. As for those on Android, open the menu and tap on your current status to edit it.
Here are the status options you can use on Skype:
- Active: Let everyone know that you’re online and available for a chat.
- Away: Use this if you want to tell your contacts that you’re unavailable or unable to respond to messages. While Skype automatically uses this status if you’re inactive for an hour or so, you can set it ahead of time.
- Do not disturb: Use this status if you don’t want to receive any notification while you’re busy. Although people can still message or call you, there won’t be any alerts.
- Invisible: Hide your status and appear offline on Skype, but people can still contact you. If you use this option, your contacts can only see the last time you set your status to Active or “Do not disturb.”
If you want to receive notifications while you’re using “Do not disturb,” go to Settings > Notifications and toggle the “Show chat notifications” button.
To sum it all up
Now that you know how to change your mood message on Skype, you can now share what you’re currently up to on the platform. You can also use it to display your favorite quote, motto, or explain why you’re unavailable or busy.
Just remember that your mood message lasts unless you decide to edit or clear it. With that in mind, it might be a good idea to check and change it from time.
That’s all from us! For the latest tips, tutorials, and guides, visit us regularly for our daily updates.