How To Change Your Master Password On LastPass
Last Updated: April 9, 2023
Do you want to update your master password on LastPass? Do you think that it’s not secure enough to protect your other information on the app? In any case, you can change the master password for your LastPass account. Follow our guide below, and we’ll cover the steps to do so.
In LastPass, you need a master password to access all your other sign-in credentials on the app. This password serves as protection in case someone wants to access your secure vault.
To ensure that your online accounts are secure, we recommend changing your password every once in a while. Thankfully, you can change your master password on LastPass whenever you want.
Here’s our guide about updating your master password on LastPass.
How to update your LastPass master password
Updating your password frequently on LastPass makes it more secure. Your master password allows access to all your other credentials and information on the app, so changing it frequently can help protect your account from unauthorized users.
You can change your LastPass password whether you’re using the app on your phone or computer. Check our tutorials below, and we’ll cover the steps to update your account’s master password.
On your computer:
- Open the LastPass website and sign in to your account.
- Click Account Settings on the sidebar.
- Click “Change Master Password” in the Login Credentials section.
- Fill up the form by adding your old and new master passwords.
- Scroll down and enter your new master password again to make sure that you remember it.
- Click Save Master Password to confirm your decision.
If you ever change your mind, you can open your LastPass account settings and select the Revert Master Password option. This will change your password to the last one you used on your account.
On your phone:
- Open the LastPass mobile app and sign in to your account.
- Tap the hamburger icon on the upper left and select Settings at the bottom of the menu.
- Open your account settings.
- Tap the “Change master password” option.
- Enter your old and new master passwords on the empty fields.
- Scroll down, re-enter your new master password, and tap the Save Master Password button to confirm your decision.
Besides having a minimum of 12 characters, you can create a password as lengthy as you want. However, make sure that you remember your new master password since you’ll need it to access your other sign-in credentials stored in LastPass.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to update your password on LastPass, you can protect your account with a better password. We recommend changing your password every once in a while to improve the security of your account.
Aside from improving your password, you can enable 2FA for your account to protect it with another layer of security.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our daily posts and updates.