How To Change Your Display Name On Slack
Last Updated: October 18, 2021
Do you think that your full name on Slack is too long? Do you want to use a nickname as your display name on one of your workspaces? If that’s the case, you’ll find our quick guide below helpful. We’ll show you how to add a display name on your Slack account whether you’re using their web, desktop, or mobile app.
In Slack, you can customize your profile to your liking. One of the things you can change is your display name, which shows up instead of your full name on channels and conversations.
With the help of a display name, other workspace members can call or mention you with your nickname instead of your full name.
In our guide below, we’ll show you how to add a display name to your Slack profile.
How to edit your display name on Slack
If you want to use your nickname on Slack, you can opt to change the display name on your account. In this way, everyone will see your display name instead of your full name when someone mentions you on a channel or conversation.
You can update your display name on Slack whether you’re on your phone or computer. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it on both devices.
On your computer:
- Open the Slack desktop or web app and sign in to your account.
- Click your profile picture on the top right corner of the screen and select Profile from the menu.
- Below your name, click Edit Profile.
- Enter your desired name on the Display name field.
- Click Save Changes on the bottom right to confirm your decision.
That’s how you add a display name to your account on the Slack desktop and web app. If you ever change your mind, you can always update your profile and change your current information.
On the Slack mobile app:
- After opening the app and signing in to your workspace, tap “You” on the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap “View Profile.”
- On the menu that appears on your screen, select “Edit profile.”
- Enter the name you want to use on the Display name field.
- Tap Save on the top right to apply the changes.
After saving your new display name, it shows up instead of your full name when someone mentions you in a conversation. It also appears as your name on the members list, channels, and DMs on your workspace.
Please note that if your workspace is using the single sign-on feature, there might be some restrictions in regards to updating a profile on the app. As such, you might not be able to change the display name on your account in some cases.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to add or change your display name on Slack, you can use a nickname or an alias on your workspace. In this way, there’s no need for members to call you with your full name in their messages and mentions on channels and conversations.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, visit our site frequently, and browse our latest posts and updates.