How To Change Your Contact Name On Whatsapp
Last Updated: November 22, 2020
Did you misspell your display name on WhatsApp? Or do you want to change it for privacy reasons? In any case, we’re here to help you. So if you’re not familiar with the process of editing your profile on the platform, don’t worry, since we got you covered. Follow our guide below!
When you create an account on WhatsApp, you have to enter a profile name. This name is visible to people in your group chats that don’t have your contact information saved on their address books.
As such, you can change this name to anything that you want. Whether you choose to use a fake name to protect your privacy, or your real one, WhatsApp doesn’t mind. Aside from that, you can also add emoji to make your name eye-catching in group chats.
While people that are familiar with their accounts can easily find the option to change the display name, that’s not the case for everyone. If you’re quite new to the messaging service and you can’t find your profile settings, we have here a guide on how to change your profile name on WhatsApp.
Whether you’re using Android, iOS, or the desktop app, don’t worry since we got you covered.
How to change your display name on WhatsApp
Before we start discussing how to change your display name, we’re here to remind you that this isn’t your WhatsApp username. Instead, your profile name is the one that is visible to other users in group chats who don’t have your contact information on their address books.
To change your display name, you generally have to change your information on the profile page. For those who aren’t familiar with the settings on WhatsApp, we have here some quick tutorials that can help you whether you’re using Android, iOS, or the desktop app.
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer.
- At the top right corner of your screen, tap more options (three-dot icon) and select Settings.
- On the Settings page, tap your profile photo.
- Tap the edit icon near your display name.
- Enter your new name and tap Save to confirm all the changes.
Using the desktop and web app:
- Open and sign-in to WhatsApp on the desktop app or your web browser.
- Click your icon to view more information about your profile. On the other hand, you can also click Menu (three-dot icon) > Profile.
- Under the “Your Name” section, click on the edit icon.
- Enter your new name and click the checkmark to save the changes.
- Open and sign-in to WhatsApp.
- Tap Settings at the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap your name at the top of the Settings page to access your profile.
- Tap your display name and enter a new name.
- Once you finish editing, tap Done at the top right corner of your screen to save the changes.
Take note that even if you change your display name on the platform, it won’t change your name in other people’s address books. It will only affect those people who see you in group chats that don’t have your contact info.
How to change a contact’s name on WhatsApp
Since the messaging service syncs with your phone’s address book, the names of the contacts on your device reflect on the app as well. So if you want to change your friend’s name on WhatsApp, you can do it from your default Contacts app.
In case WhatsApp missed to update the name of a contact on their platform, you can opt to refresh your contacts manually. To access this feature, tap New chat > More options > Refresh.
After refreshing, you can now view the updated name of the contact on your Chats tab or when you start a new chat.
To sum it all up
Now that you know how you can change your profile name, you can use an alias to hide your identity from people that don’t have your contact information. You can also use this option to correct any mistakes and misspellings on your display name.
Aside from words, you can also add any emoji to your name. Also, we’re here to remind you that changing your display name doesn’t change your contact information in other people’s address book. It is only visible to people on your group chats that don’t have your number on their contacts.
That’s all from us! We hope that our guide helped you change your display name on WhatsApp. For more tips, tricks, and tutorials. Don’t forget to hit the bookmark button and visit our site regularly for our daily updates and posts.