How To Change The Owner Of A Group In GroupMe
Last Updated: August 22, 2022
Do you no longer want to manage one of your groups in GroupMe? Do you want to transfer the ownership of the conversation to one of its other members? If that’s the case, you can make promote another user to a group owner and step down to a regular member. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
When you create a group chat on GroupMe, you’ll become the owner of the chat automatically. As the owner, you have the permission to manage the conversation, including choosing its members, deleting the chat, and changing its other settings.
As time passes, there might be chats that you don’t need to manage anymore on the app. When that happens, you can transfer the ownership to one of its members to give the responsibility to someone else.
Here’s our guide about promoting another user to a group owner in GroupMe.
How to make someone as the group owner on GroupMe
If you don’t want to manage one of your groups in GroupMe anymore, you can make one of the other members the owner. When you pass the ownership to another user, they’ll get all the permissions to manage and organize the group, including removing members and deleting the conversation.
You can change the group owner from the GroupMe mobile or desktop app. Check our quick tutorials below for a step-by-step process from both devices.
On your phone:
- Launch the GroupMe app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open one of the groups that you want to manage.
- Tap the group’s avatar on the conversation header.
- Select “Members” from the menu that appears on your screen.
- Tap one of the members on the list and select the “Make owner” option from the menu.
- Tap “Make owner” on the pop-up window to confirm your decision.
That’s how you transfer the ownership of a group chat in GroupMe. Once you hit the confirm option, there’s no way to undo your decision, unless the new group owner gives the chat back to you.
On your computer:
- Launch the GroupMe Windows app and sign in to your account.
- Open the group chat that you want to manage and select “Settings” from the sidebar.
- Scroll down and select the Change Owner button.
- Choose the member that you want to promote as the new owner and click Yes on the pop-up window to confirm your decision.
Owners have full control over the group chat and its members. They can add new people to the conversation, remove the ones they don’t like on the chat, or even clone the group.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to transfer ownership of a group in GroupMe, you can now pass the responsibility of managing the chat to one of its members. When you pass the ownership to someone else, there’s no way to undo your decision.
That’s everything we have on our guide! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.