How To Change The Chat Wallpaper On WhatsApp
Last Updated: August 20, 2021
Do you want to customize the appearance of your WhatsApp chats? Do you want to choose among the default images and colors offered on the app, or do you want to upload a custom one? In any case, we’re here to help you. We’ll show you how to update your chat wallpaper on WhatsApp, whether you’re on your phone or desktop.
WhatsApp, like other popular messenger services, allows its users to customize the appearance of their chats. Aside from changing the theme, users can also personalize the background of their conversations on the app.
You can upload one of your favorite images or choose one from the available options. With that in mind, here’s our guide on how to change your wallpaper on WhatsApp.
How to add or update your default wallpaper on WhatsApp
If you want to customize and add a personal touch to WhatsApp, you can update your default chat wallpaper on the app. You have the option to choose from the pre-uploaded images on the app or upload a custom one from your device.
You can use wallpapers whether you’re using WhatsApp on your computer or phone. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll teach you how to customize your chats on both devices.
On your mobile device:
- Open WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap More options (three vertical dots) on the upper-right, and select Settings on the menu.
- Open your Chats options and select Wallpaper under the Display section.
- Tap Change at the bottom of the wallpaper preview.
- Choose a wallpaper from the pre-uploaded images on the app or upload a custom one from your storage.
- After choosing the image you prefer, tap “Set as wallpaper” at the bottom of your screen.
These chat preferences last until you update them again. So if you want to revert to the default WhatsApp wallpaper, go to your Settings > Chats > Wallpapers, and tap Default Wallpaper.
Aside from choosing a chat background for all your chats, you can also change the wallpaper on specific ones. To do so, open one of your chats, go to More options (three vertical dots) > Wallpaper and select the image you want to use as your wallpaper.
On your computer:
- Launch the WhatsApp desktop app or open their web browser client and connect your account via QR code.
- Click the three vertical dots on the upper-left side of your screen and select Settings on the menu.
- Click Chat Wallpaper.
- Choose among the different colors that you can use on your chats. Scroll down to view more options.
Note: You have the option to add or remove the “Doodles” from your wallpaper.
As you can see, you can only choose one of the pre-uploaded color backgrounds on your WhatsApp web and desktop chats. Hopefully, we get to use custom images in the future.
Always remember that changing the wallpaper on the desktop or web app doesn’t change the one you selected on the mobile app and vice-versa.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to change the wallpaper on WhatsApp, you can go ahead and personalize your group or private conversations. Always remember that you can change the background for specific chats on the mobile app.
Dark mode users on the mobile app can dim the lighting of the wallpaper if they find it too bright to their liking. With that in mind, we recommend choosing an image that doesn’t affect the readability of the messages you receive in your conversations.
That’s everything we have on us! If you want to read more tips, tricks, and tutorials about WhatsApp, visit our site frequently, and check our daily posts and updates.