How To Change The Audio Quality In Spotify
Last Updated: July 16, 2021
Listening to your favorite music is best when you play them at the highest possible quality. On the other hand, there are times where you need to tone it down to save your mobile data when streaming. Thankfully, Spotify allows you to manually change the quality of music you play on their app. With that in mind, we’ll show you how to do change the audio quality on the Spotify mobile and desktop app.
By default, Spotify adjusts the audio quality on the desktop and mobile app automatically. This feature depends on the strength of your internet connection on your device.
However, you can always adjust this feature to your preference. You can change it to play music at the highest quality possible all the time, or tone it down to the lowest option to save mobile data.
With that in mind, here’s our guide on how to change the music quality on Spotify. Whether you’re using the app on your desktop or phone, we’ll cover everything you need to know.
How to adjust the audio quality in Spotify
If you want to hear the best audio quality in Spotify, you can adjust the option on your app to the highest setting possible. On the other hand, you can also tone it down to the lowest quality to save mobile data when streaming.
You can adjust the audio quality on Spotify whether you’re using the desktop or mobile app. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from both versions.
On your computer:
- Launch the Spotify desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Click your profile icon on the upper-right side of the screen and select Settings on the menu.
- Under the Audio Quality section, change the Streaming quality to your preference. Premium users can use the Very High option which is approximately 320kbit/s.
- You can also turn off “Auto adjust quality” to play music with your preferred quality whether your bandwidth can handle it smoothly or not. However, please note that this may cause interruptions to your listening session especially if you have a slow internet connection.
If you want to save music on the highest possible audio quality, you can change the Download option to Very High. Always remember that higher audio quality uses more storage so be mindful of this fact when downloading playlists with a ton of items.
Unfortunately, changing the audio quality isn’t available on the Spotify web player. Free users only get to play music at an AAC 128kbits/s while premium users get 256kbit/s on their browser.
On your phone or tablet:
- Open Spotify from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Tap the gear icon located at the top-right side of the Home tab to access your Settings.
- Scroll down to the Audio Quality section and change your Wi-Fi and cellular data streaming options.
- You can also turn off the “Auto Adjust Quality” feature to always play your music at your desired quality.
If you’re running low on mobile data, you can turn on the Data Saver option. This option forces the app to play your podcasts and music in 24kbits/s, which is the lowest possible audio quality on Spotify.
You can also adjust the quality of your downloads if you want better audio or less storage consumption. You can find the option to do so on the Audio Quality section of your Settings.
To wrap things up
That’s how you change the audio quality on the Spotify desktop and mobile app. You can adjust it to the highest possible setting to have the best listening experience, or tone it down to the lowest one to conserve mobile data.
Always remember that adjusting the audio quality isn’t available on the Spotify web player. So if you want to listen to have the best listening experience, download the app on your desktop.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit our site frequently and read our daily posts or updates. If you found our article helpful in changing your Spotify settings, you can share it with your friends and family that are also using the app.