How To Change A Member’s Email On Slack
Last Updated: November 9, 2021
Is one of your workspace members having trouble changing their email address on Slack? Do you want to manually change the member’s email address for them as someone with a higher position on the workspace? If that’s the case, you can edit their information and update their email whenever you want. Follow our quick guide below to learn how.
In Slack, users can change the email address connected to their workspace account by default. However, there are instances where people are having trouble updating their information on the app.
Thankfully Slack allows admins and owners to manage the workspace member’s information on the app. They have permission to update other people’s email addresses on their accounts.
Before we start on our guide, please note that this feature is only available to premium plans on Slack. If you’re using a Business+ or Enterprise Grid workspace, you can change a member’s email as an owner or admin.
Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to update a workspace member’s email on Slack
If one of your workspace members is having trouble updating their email address on Slack, you can do it for them as an owner or admin. After updating the member’s email, it’s the one they’ll need to use when signing in to the workspace.
You can update a member’s email address from the Slack desktop or web app. Follow our step-by-step tutorial below, and we’ll cover the things you need to know.
Note: Changing another member’s email address is only available to paid plans on Slack.
- On your computer, open the Slack desktop app or visit the web client on your browser and sign in to your workspace.
- Click your workspace name at the top of the sidebar on the left.
- On the menu that appears, hover to Settings & administration and click Manage members.
- Click the three dots icon on the right side of the member that you want to manage and select Edit Info from the menu.
- Change the member’s email address and click Save to confirm your decision.
That’s how you update a workspace member’s email address on Slack. Always remember that you only use this feature if you have a higher role than the person involved.
If your workspace uses the single sign-on feature (SSO), you might need to check your preferences before you can change a member’s email address. However, only Workspace owners can manage the workspace settings, which allow members to change their email.
How to allow members to change their email on workspaces with SSO
- On the Slack desktop or web app, click the workspace name on the top left side of the screen.
- Once the menu appears, hover to Settings & administration and select Workspace settings.
- Head to the Authentication tab and select the authentication method you use on your workspace.
- Put a check on “Allow users to change their email address” and click Save Configuration to apply the changes.
After updating your authentication settings, you can update a member’s email address with the steps we mentioned earlier. Please note that only workspace owners can allow users to change their email in SSO.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to update another member’s email address on Slack, you can help those who are having trouble editing their information on the workspace. If you can’t access this feature, you might not have permission to manage other workspace members.
That’s it! For more tutorials, visit our site from time to time and check our latest posts and updates.