How To Block Someone On Signal
Last Updated: April 24, 2021
Is someone bothering you on Signal? Do you want to prevent the individual from messaging or contacting you on the platform? If that’s a yes, we have here a guide to help you. We’ll show you how to use the block feature on Signal. Whether you want to block a private or group chat, we got you covered.
Although Signal is a secure messaging app with end-to-end encryption, people can find you on the platform using your number. As such, you can still receive messages, calls, and group invitations from users that you don’t know.
Thankfully, you can choose to block phone numbers and groups on the platform. With this feature, you can prevent anyone from contacting you through the app.
With that in mind, we have here a guide for you. We’ll show you how to block users and groups on Signal. Whether you’re using the desktop or mobile app, don’t worry, we have a tutorial for you.
How to block a group or user on Signal Messaging
If a user is bothering you in Signal, you can choose to block them on the platform. When you do, they won’t have any access to your profile name, photo, and you won’t receive any messages, updates, or call requests from the person involved.
Aside from blocking contacts, you can also block groups in Signal. However, doing this will make you leave the group automatically. In turn, the members won’t see your name, photo, and they won’t have any chance to re-add you back.
If that’s what you need, we’re here to offer our help. Follow our step-by-step tutorials below, and we’ll teach you how to block someone on Signal.
On the Android app:
- On your list of chats, open one of your group or private chats. You can also start a new conversation with the contact that you want to block.
- Tap the group or chat’s icon on the upper-left side of your screen to access the chat Settings.
Alternatively, you can tap More options (three-dot icon) and select Group settings (or Conversation settings).
- Scroll down at the bottom of the page and tap Block or Block group.
- Tap “Block and Leave” or Block” to confirm your decision.
That’s how you block a group or contact on the Signal app for Android. As for iOS users, the process is pretty much the same, but expect some differences in the interface between the two versions.
On the desktop app:
As for those using Signal on a computer, you can only block groups on the desktop app. Follow our step-by-step tutorial below to learn how.
- Open one of your group chats.
- On the upper-right corner of the chat window, tap the drop-down arrow.
- Once the menu appears, click Group settings.
- At the bottom of the page, click Block group.
- When the pop-up window shows up on your screen, tap the Block option to confirm your decision.
Always remember that blocking a contact or group works both ways. While you won’t receive any messages, call requests, or invites from the blocked number, you can’t message them as well.
How to unblock users on Signal
If you suddenly change your mind, you also have the option to unblock users on Signal. When you do, you’ll receive notifications, messages, and invitations from the number or group in the future.
You can view the list of blocked users from your Privacy Settings on the app. Follow our step-by-step tutorial below to learn how.
- After opening the mobile app, tap your profile icon on the upper-left to access your Settings.
- Go to your Privacy page.
- Under the Communication section, tap Blocked users.
- Tap the one you want to unblock and confirm your decision.
After unblocking a user, they may appear on your contacts list. However, you won’t receive any messages sent while blocking a user.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to block users and groups on Signal, you can prevent someone from contacting you on the app. While you won’t receive any messages, call requests or group invitations, you can’t send them to the blocked number as well.
That’s everything we have on our guide. For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, you can visit us regularly and check our daily posts and updates.