How To Block Someone On Microsoft Teams
Last Updated: August 27, 2021
Does someone keep on messaging or ringing you on your Microsoft Teams Personal account? Do you want to block them to prevent them from bothering you on the app? If that’s a yes, check our quick guide below. We’ll show you how to block a contact on the Microsoft Teams mobile, desktop, and web app.
While most people use Microsoft Teams for work or business-related communication, you can also use a Personal account to contact your friends or family. In this way, you can message and call your contacts without changing apps or switching platforms.
By default, people can find your account on Teams through your email address or phone number (if you connected one). As such, anyone that has access to your information can add, message, or call you on the app.
While this feature makes it easier for your friends and family to find you on Microsoft Teams, the same goes for other users as well. With that in mind, you can still receive messages or requests from people you don’t know.
Thankfully, you can block contacts on your Teams Personal account. Follow our guide below to learn how.
How to block a contact on Microsoft Teams
If one of your contacts is bothering you on your Microsoft Teams Personal account, you have the option to block them on the app. In this way, the person can’t call or mention you in your private conversation.
You can block someone on Microsoft Teams whether you’re using the app on your computer or phone. In our quick tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from both devices.
Note: You can only block a contact on your Teams Personal account. There’s no option to do so on a work or school account.
On your Windows computer:
- Launch the Teams desktop app or visit their web browser client and sign in to your personal account.
- Open your conversation between the contact you want to block on the Chats list. If you can’t find the right one, use the Search bar to look for the contact you want to block.
- Click on the contact’s name on the conversation header.
- Click More options (three horizontal dots) and select “Block contact.”
Alternatively, you can right-click on a contact on your Chats list and select the Block option on the menu. Also, hovering on the conversation and clicking on More options (three horizontal dots) opens the menu where you can find the Block option.
To view the list of all blocked contacts, click your profile icon on the upper-right corner of the screen and navigate to Manage account > Privacy > Edit blocked contacts. In this area, you have the option to unblock people on your Personal account.
On your Android device:
- Open the Teams mobile app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your Personal account.
- On the Chats list, open your conversation between the contact you want to block. If you can’t find the right profile, use the Search bar.
- Tap the contact’s name at the top of the conversation. Alternatively, you can tap More options (three vertical dots) on the upper-right corner and select View Profile on the menu.
- Tap the red “Block contact” option.
That’s how you block a contact on the Teams mobile app. To see the list of blocked users, tap your profile icon on the top-left corner of the screen and navigate to Settings > People > Blocked contacts.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to block contacts on your Microsoft Teams Personal account, you can now prevent users from bothering you on the platform. In this way, you can feel safe when chatting with your friends and family on the app.
When you block someone, they can’t call or mention you in one-on-one conversations. Aside from that, they can’t see whether you’re online on your account or not, protecting your privacy.
That’s everything we have on our guide! If you want more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit us regularly, and read our daily posts and updates.