How To Block A Friend On Steam
Last Updated: April 17, 2023
Is one of your Steam friends pestering you on the app? Do you want to stop all direct contact, like messaging and invitations from that user? If that’s the case, you can block all communications with your friend on the app. In this article, we’ll cover all the steps to block someone on Steam.
In Steam, you can add other people as friends on the app and vice versa. Once someone is your friend on the app, they can easily send you group invitations, messages, and call requests through your account.
However, there are times when you don’t want to hear anything from a user on the app, even if it’s someone from your Friends list. If you don’t want to unfriend someone on Steam, you have the option to block them instead.
Blocking on Steam doesn’t prevent users from viewing your public profile and activity on the app. Instead, it prevents any direct contact between the two of you.
Here’s our guide about blocking a friend on Steam.
How to block communications from a Steam friend
If you don’t want one of your friends to contact you directly on Steam, you can block all communications on the app. Blocked users on the app will not be able to send you messages, invite you to groups, or comment on your profile.
You can block a friend on Steam whether you’re using the mobile or desktop app. Check our tutorials below, and we’ll cover the steps for both app versions.
On your computer:
- Launch the Steam desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Click the Friends & Chat option on the bottom right.
- Hover your mouse pointer over one of your friends on the list and click the drop-down arrow.
- On the menu that appears, select Manage > Block All Communications.
- Click Block All Communications on the pop-up window to confirm your decision.
If you want to block a Steam user that’s not on your Friends list, you can visit their profile on the app. Click More options (three dots icon) on the user’s profile page and select “Block All Communication” from the menu.
On your phone:
- Open the Steam mobile app and sign in to your account.
- Tap your profile icon on the upper right.
- Select the Friends option under the My Content option.
- Tap one of the users on your Friends list to check their profile.
- Tap More options (three dots icon) on the user’s profile page.
- Once the menu appears, select the Block All Communication option and confirm your decision.
Blocking one of your friends on Steam won’t remove them from your Friends list. However, you won’t receive any messages, notifications, calls, or invitations from that user.
To wrap things up
Now that you know how to block one of your friends on Steam, you can stop receiving messages, call requests, and comments from that user without unfriending them on the app. If you ever change your mind, you can always unblock users from their profile page.
That’s everything! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our daily posts and updates.