How To Ban Someone From Your Server On Discord
Last Updated: November 2, 2021
Is someone causing a ruckus on your Discord server? Or is the user a frequent violator of the rules you set for all the members? Either way, you can opt to ban the member from your server Discord indefinitely. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
If you have a public Discord server, various people can join it and send messages within the text channels on the server. Although you can set rules that every member should follow, there are people that might disobey them from time to time.
Thankfully, Discord allows server owners and administrators to kick out or ban users from their servers. In this way, they can keep the order and remove the ones that are causing a disturbance or repeated violations to other members.
With that in mind, here’s our guide on how to ban users from your server on Discord.
How to ban a member from your Discord server
If someone is violating the rules on your Discord server or causing some disturbances, you can opt to remove and ban the member from the server. When you do, they won’t be able to rejoin until you unban them from your server settings.
You can ban a server member whether you’re using Discord on your computer or mobile device. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you do it on both.
On your computer:
- Open Discord on your computer or web browser and sign in to your account.
- Head to the server where you want to ban a member.
- On the server members list on the right side of the screen, right-click on a member’s display name or username.
- Once the menu appears, select Ban [display name].
- Choose an option under the delete message history section, add an optional reason for the ban, and click the Ban button on the bottom right to confirm your decision.
Alternatively, you can right-click on someone’s name on text channels and voice channels within the server and select the ban option on the menu.
Once you ban someone from your server, they can’t rejoin even if they have access to an invitation. You can check all the banned users from your server by navigating to User Settings and selecting Bans under the User Management section.
On the Discord mobile app:
- After signing in to the mobile app, tap the hamburger icon on the top left and head to the server that you want to manage.
- Open one of its channels and slide to the left to open the server members list. Alternatively, you can tap the members on the top right corner of the channel.
- Look for the member that you want to ban and their display name or username from the list.
- Once the menu appears on your screen, tap Ban.
- Choose an option for deleting the message history, add an optional reason for the ban, and tap Confirm on the bottom right.
Bans on Discord work by blocking the account and the IP address of the user. Although the user can use proxies to bypass the IP block, having a phone verification level in your server moderation can prevent them from doing so.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to ban server members on Discord, removing users and preventing them from rejoining your server is up to you. Always remember that you can unban users from your Server Settings whenever you want to.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, visit our site regularly, and check our daily posts and updates.