How To Attach Bait In Stardew Valley
Last Updated: July 29, 2021
Can’t seem to figure out how to attach bait on your fishing rod in Stardew Valley? Well look no further. We can all agree that the fishing mechanics in Stardew Valley can be a little challenging. But it is actually kind of easy if you know what you’re doing. The same goes for attaching bait to your rod. In fact, it’s as simple as pressing a few buttons.
What is bait for?
Bait is an item that helps you catch fish more efficiently in Stardew Valley. You attach it to a fishing rod so that fish will bite faster and reduce the chances of you pulling garbage while fishing. But, you can’t just go attaching bait on any fishing rod willy nilly. Out of the four types of fishing rod, only the Fiberglass Rod and the Iridium Rod have slots for baits. You can also insert bait into a Crab Pot but doing so will not activate the effects of special baits.
There are four kinds of bait and all of them have different uses:
- Bait – Makes fish bite faster.
- Magnet – Increases chance of finding treasure while fishing.
- Wild Bait – Can cause you to catch two fish at once. This cannot be purchased and you need to learn the recipe for it from Linus.
Magic Bait – You can catch any fish you want regardless of the time, season, or weather.
How do you use it?
The controls to attach bait differs on the platform you are using.
On the PC version:
- First open up your inventory. Using your mouse, Left-click on your bait and pick up how much of the item you want to use. You can Right-click to return pieces of the bait you don’t need.
2. Next you need to Right-click on your rod. The bait you picked up will disappear from your inventory but is now attached to the fishing rod.
3. In case you want to change your bait, just Right-click on your rod and the unused bait will return to your inventory.
On the Console versions:
- Xbox – Press the A button to pick up the entire stack of your bait or you can press X to select a single piece. Press X again on your fishing rod to attach the bait.
- PS4 – Press the X button to pick up the entire stack of your bait or you can press the Square button to select a single piece. Press Square again on your fishing rod to attach the bait.
- Nintendo Switch – Press the A button to pick up the entire stack of your bait or you can press the Y button to select a single piece. Press Y again on your fishing rod to attach the bait.
You can remove the bait from your fishing rod by pressing X on Xbox/PS4 and pressing Y on the Nintendo Switch.
On the Mobile version:
- Open your inventory. Select your bait. You can select the amount of bait you want to use by long pressing the item while in your inventory.
2. Drag and drop your bait to your fishing rod.
3. The bait should appear when you select your fishing rod.
And there you have it. I hope this helps you attach your bait in Stardew Valley. Now go out there and catch some fish. Happy fishing!