How To Assign A New Owner To Your Channel On Zoom
Last Updated: December 31, 2022
Do you no longer have time to manage a channel on Zoom? Do you want to pass the responsibility to another chat member? In any case, you can assign a new owner for your channels on Zoom. Check our quick guide below, and we’ll teach you how to do so.
When you create a channel on Zoom, you’re automatically the owner of the conversation. As the owner, you have permission to manage the edit the channel’s members, details, and other administrative stuff.
However, we understand that there might be situations where you no longer have time to manage one of your channels. Instead of deleting the chat along with its contents, you can promote one of the members as the new owner.
Here’s our guide about assigning a new channel owner in Zoom.
How to choose a new owner for your Zoom channel
If you no longer want to manage one of your channels on Zoom, you can pass the ownership to another member. In this way, you can leave the responsibility of managing the chat to another person.
You can transfer the ownership of a Zoom channel from their mobile and desktop apps. Follow our tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both app versions.
On your phone:
- Open the Zoom app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Head to the “Team Chat” tab and open one of the channels that you manage.
- Tap the information icon on the conversation header.
- Scroll down and select “More options.”
- Select the “Assign New Owner” option.
- Choose the member that you want to promote as the new owner of the channel.
That’s how you pass the ownership of a channel on the Zoom mobile app. The new owner has full control over the conversation, including managing its members, changing permissions, and others.
On your computer:
- Open the Zoom desktop app and sign in to your account.
- Head to the Team Chat tab and browse the channels on the chats list.
- Hover your mouse pointer to one of the channels you manage and click Channel options (three dots icon). Alternatively, you can right-click on a channel on the list.
- Once the menu appears, select the Assign New Owner option.
- Choose the channel member that you want to replace you as the owner and click Assign.
Please note that the new channel owner can edit the channel, manage its members, or delete it. The owner can also choose to pass the responsibility to another member of the conversation.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to assign a new owner to a channel on Zoom, you can now pass the responsibility of managing the conversation to another user. Once you pass the ownership, you can leave the chat whenever you want.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.