How To Archive A Channel In Slack
Last Updated: August 17, 2021
Do you want to hide some of the channels you no longer use in Slack? Do you want to keep their contents on your workspace for future use? If that’s the case, all you have to do is follow our guide below. We’ll show you how to archive your channels in Slack whether you’re using the desktop, mobile, or web browser app.
In Slack, channels provide your team with a shared space where you can communicate and work together. As such, you can work in sync without leaving anyone out from the discussion.
When you finish a project and have no more use for the channel, you have the option to archive it for future use. In this way, you get to store the channel’s contents on your workspace while hiding it from immediate view.
With that in mind, here’s our quick guide about archiving your channels on Slack.
How to archive your channels in Slack
By default, all members of the workspace in Slack can archive a channel. However, the admins and the owner can change the permission settings and prevent regular members from doing so.
When you archive a channel on Slack, it disappears from your active channels, and no one can use it to send messages or start new activities. But keep in mind that its chat history is still on your workspace, and the members can search for the archived chat anytime they want.
You can archive a channel on Slack whether you’re using the desktop, web, or mobile app. Follow our quick tutorials below to learn how to do it from all three versions.
On your computer:
- Launch the Slack desktop app or visit their web browser client, sign in to your account, and open one of your workspaces.
- On the navigation bar on the left side of your screen, open one of your channels.
- Click the channel’s name at the top of the conversation. Alternatively, you can right-click on the channel’s name on the list and select “Open channel details” on the menu.
- Head to the Settings tab and select “Archive channel for everyone.”
- Click Archive Channel to confirm your decision.
Note: You can’t archive the #general channel.
After archiving a channel, you can find its contents by using the search bar. Always remember that no one will be able to send new messages in an archived channel.
You can unarchive a channel by finding it using the search bar, opening its channel details, and selecting the unarchive option on the Settings tab.
On your mobile device:
- Launch the Slack mobile app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open the channel you want to archive.
- Tap the Details icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Under the Advanced section, tap Archive.
- Once Slack prompts you to confirm your decision, select Archive.
Always remember that archiving a channel doesn’t remove it from your workspace. You and the other members can find its contents through the search feature.
If you’re the owner and you want to prevent regular members from archiving, open your workspace settings, head to the Permissions tab, and choose who can archive channels under the “Channel Management” section. In this way, you can prevent most users from messing up your projects accidentally.
Hide channels in Slack by archiving them
Instead of deleting inactive or outdated channels in Slack, you can opt to archive them to store their contents on your workspace. In this way, you won’t lose valuable information that you might need in the future.
That’s everything we have on our guide about archiving in Slack. For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit our site regularly, and check our daily posts and updates.