How To Add Someone To A Conversation On Slack
Last Updated: November 11, 2021
Do you have a new workspace member that you want to include in one of your group DMs? If so, you can add them to the conversation whenever you want. In our quick guide below, we’ll teach you the steps on how to add someone to an existing group DM on Slack. Whether you’re using the app on your phone, computer, or web browser, we’ll cover the steps you need to know.
Group DMs on Slack are conversations that you start with up to nine people outside of the channels on your workspace. This feature is perfect for casual conversations with your workmates on the app.
As time passes, you might have new people coming into your workspace on Slack. With that in mind, you can add them to one of your group DMs to keep them in the loop.
Without further ado, here’s our guide about adding someone to a group conversation on Slack.
How to add more people to a group DM on Slack
If you want to include more people in your small group DM on Slack, you can add them to the conversation whenever you want. However, please note that doing so starts a new DM on the app without preserving the previous message history.
You can add more people to a group DM whether you’re using Slack on your phone or computer. In our tutorials below, we’ll show you how to do it from both.
On your computer:
- Open the Slack web or desktop app and sign in to your workspace.
- Go to the group DM where you want to add more members.
- Click the profile icons on the top right corner of the conversation.
- Head to the Members tab and select the “Add people” option.
- Type the name of the person you want to add and click their name on the search results. Click the Go button beside the conversation members to create a new DM.
Once you hit the Go button, you’ll create a new group DM along with the new member you added to the conversation. However, keep in mind that the new DM won’t have any of the messages or files shared previously.
If you want to preserve the conversation’s message history, you can convert it to a private channel instead. Once you do, Slack notifies all the conversation members about your decision automatically.
On the Slack mobile app:
- After signing in to your account, open the group DM where you want to add more members.
- Tap the information icon on the right side of the header to open the conversation details.
- Tap the “Add people” option.
- Select the people you want to add to the conversation and tap Done on the top right corner.
You can only add up to nine people in a group conversation on Slack. To include more members, you can convert it to a private channel to retain its message history as well.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to add someone to a group DM on Slack, you can start a new group conversation without adding all its members manually. Once you add someone to a group, you’ll start with a clear message history, so you don’t have to worry about leaking previous conversations and files to the new member.
For more tips, tricks, and tutorials, visit our site regularly, and read our daily posts and updates.