How To Add Emoji In WhatsApp
Last Updated: November 29, 2020
Most, if not all, of the popular messaging services including, Messenger and WhatsApp, incorporates emojis on their platform. These small icons and characters can imply different emotions that can be quite hard to express by using plain words only. If you’re not familiar with using this feature on WhatsApp, follow our guide below to learn how!
Emojis are characters that can represent human expressions and other categories like weather, different places, animals, and many more. Adding a few of them alongside words can add more emphasis to your messages.
However, we recommend using these emojis in casual conversations only. Adding a lot of these symbols to your work or business messages can make them look informal and unprofessional.
In any case, emojis are available on most messaging services on Android, PC, and iOS, including WhatsApp. While most of us are familiar with using them on any messaging platform, that’s not the case for everyone.
So if you want to learn how to add emojis to your chats and images on WhatsApp, you’re in the right place. We have here a guide that can help you add these expressive characters in your conversations with your friends and family.
How to use emoji in your WhatsApp chats
There are a lot of uses for emoji on WhatsApp. You can add it to your display name, one of your contact’s information, status updates, images, and many more.
In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to use emojis on your individual or group chats.
Here’s how to do it on Android:
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer.
- Under the Chats tab, open an existing conversation or start a new chat.
- To add emoji, stickers, or GIFs to your message, tap the smiley icon at the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Tap the smiley icon at the bottom part of your screen to view all emoji that you can use on WhatsApp.
- Swipe left or right to navigate between the different available emoji categories. Tap an emoji to add them to your message.
Note: Some emoji come in different colors. To use a different color, tap and hold an emoji and select the one that you want. Once you use an emoji with a different color, it becomes your default color for that emoji.
Using the desktop or web app:
- Open and sign-in to WhatsApp on their web or desktop app.
- On the Chats list at the left, open an existing chat or start a new one.
- Click the smiley icon at the bottom-left part of the chat interface.
- Click on an emoji to add them to your messages. Click and hold to select a different emoji color (this works on some emojis only).
How to add emoji on photos and videos
Aside from using emoji on chats, you can also add them to photos and videos before you send them. Take note that this feature isn’t available on the desktop and web app versions.
Here’s how to do it on the Android app:
- Under the Chats tab, tap the camera icon on the text field at the bottom of the screen.
- Take a new photo or video, or choose one from your gallery.
- Tap the smiley icon and select Emoji.
- To move the emoji, tap and hold the item, and drag it across the screen.
- Pinch the emoji in or out to make it smaller or bigger.
- If you want to rotate the emoji, pinch it, and turn your fingers.
How can I get new emojis on WhatsApp?
Emojis on WhatsApp can change from time to time. To get all of the newest emojis as soon as possible, always update the app to its latest version.
If you’re using WhatsApp on your iPhone, always update your iOS to the latest version. Apple regularly adds new emoji every time they release a new iOS version, and you might not want to miss out.
To sum it all up
Now that you know how to use emojis on WhatsApp, you can add these expressive characters in your messages and images that you send to your contacts on the platform. Adding this feature moderately to your chats can make it more fun and lively compared to using plain words.
Just remember that people don’t recommend using them on your business and work-related chats and messages. Overly using these expressions in your conversations can make them look informal or inappropriate.
That’s it! We hope that our guide helped you learn how to add emojis to your WhatsApp chats. If you want to see the latest tips, tricks, and tutorials from us, don’t forget to hit the bookmark button and visit us regularly for our daily updates.