How To Add Categories On Discord
Last Updated: October 26, 2021
Do you have a lot of different channels on your Discord server? Do you want to organize and separate them into different sections? If that’s the case, you can create multiple categories and move your channels accordingly. With that in mind, here’s our guide on how to add a channel category on Discord.
In Discord, a server can consist of multiple channels where members can wait for announcements, start discussions, and communicate with other people. As your server grows, we expect you to have more channels coming your way.
Although having a lot of channels on your server isn’t a bad thing, organizing them can be quite the task. Thankfully, you can move your servers into different categories so that they won’t confuse your members.
In our guide below, we’ll show you how to add categories to the app. Without further ado, let’s get started.
How to add a channel category on Discord
If you want to organize your channels into separate sections, you can add more categories to your server. For example, you can add a category for your giveaways, tutorials, server information, rules, and more.
You can add categories on Discord from their web, desktop, or mobile app. In our step-by-step tutorials below, we’ll cover everything you need to know from any of these devices.
On your computer:
- Open the Discord app (desktop or web app) and sign in to your account.
- Head to the server that you want to manage.
- Click your server’s name on the top left side of the app and select “Create Category” from the menu.
- Add the category’s name and click “Create Category” to confirm your decision.
After creating a new category, you can drag existing channels and drop them below the category to move them. On the other hand, you can also create new ones within it.
Aside from making a category public, you can also make it private, which allows selected members and roles to view it. You can also manage the permissions available to members by right-clicking on the category and heading to the Permissions tab.
On the Discord mobile app:
- After opening and signing in to the Discord mobile app, tap the hamburger icon on the top left corner of the current channel.
- Head to the server you want to manage and tap its name at the top of the app.
- Once the options appear on your screen, tap “Create Category.”
- Add the category’s name and tap the check on the top right to confirm your decision.
That’s how you create a category on the Discord mobile app. Although you can’t move existing channels to your new category on the app, you can create new ones by tapping the plus icon beside the category’s name.
To manage your new category, tap and hold on to its name, select “Edit Category” on the menu,” and head to the Permissions tab.
Organize your server channels with categories on Discord
Now that you know how to add more categories to your Discord server, you can move your channels into different sections if you wish to. Having a neat channel list can help new members to where they want to go after joining your server.
That’s everything we have on us! For more tips and tutorials, check our site from time to time, and browse our latest posts and updates.