How To Add And Delete Discord Channels
Last Updated: September 4, 2020
It takes only a few steps to add or delete Discord channel but first you need to have a Discord server. This tutorial will walk you through how to setup a Discord server, and how to add and delete Discord channels.
How to Setup a Server in Discord
It’s simple and straightforward to setup a Discord server, but you will need to register with an email address and create a username for a free discord account. In order to do that, you will have to either download Discord app for Windows, Linux, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android or access it through any web browser like Chrome or Firefox.
After you have successfully created the Discord account, it’s time to setup a server. So, here is a complete step-by-step guide that will help you:
1. Launch the Discord app and log in.
2. Select the large plus sign in the left menu under the ‘Home’ icon.
3. Select ‘Create a server’ by clicking the blue button.
4. Enter the ‘Server Name’, choose the ‘Server Region’ and select ‘Create’. Location isn’t that important but you can choose the one that is close to you.
5. Your server will be created and a link will be displayed for you to share with others. Check the box that says ‘Set this link to never expire’ if you need to establish a permanent link.
6. You will be able to see the link again by clicking ‘Invite People’. Now you can invite your friends by right clicking on their username and choosing ‘Invite to server’.
How to Create a Channel in Discord
Now that you have created a server, we will tell you further how to setup a text or voice chat channel in your Discord server.
1. On the left side of the app you will see the list of the servers. Select the one you want to use for your channel. In this case we will use our above created ‘Test Server’.
2. You will see the list of all text and voice channels on the selected server.
3. Select the plus sign against the text or voice channel and it will lead you to ‘Create Text Channel’ page. Give your new channel a name and check the box to specify whether it should be a text or voice channel. And then click ‘Create Channel’.
Remember, you have to be the administrator privileges to create a channel or you won’t be able to see the plus sign against the channels.
4. You can also set your own channel-specific permissions. Just click the gear sign next to the channel and go to the permissions page.
How to Delete a Channel in Discord
You don’t need to navigate through a lot of settings to delete the channels in Discord. It’s also a simple process that involves a few steps.
1. Select the gear sign next to the channel (under the voice or text channels) you want to delete.
2. On the left of the app interface, select the red ‘Delete Channel’ option.
3. There is also another way to delete the channel. Just select the channel, right click on it and you will see a ‘Delete Channel’ option right there.