How To Add A Channel Topic On Slack
Last Updated: June 10, 2022
Do you want to display deadlines and goals on your Slack channels? Do you want to place the things where every member can see them easily? If so, you can add a topic to your channels on Slack. Follow our quick guide below, and we’ll show you how to do so.
Keeping deadlines, tasks, and other important stuff where everyone can see them can help workspace members be mindful of their projects. In this way, everyone is in line with the goals of the team.
In Slack channels, users can add a topic to the conversation header to display information where everyone can see them. You can use this feature to post deadlines, important dates, and other stuff that you want other members to see.
Here’s our guide about adding a topic to your Slack channels.
How to add a topic on one of your Slack channels
If you want to display project or task deadlines where members can easily see them, you can add them to a channel’s topic on Slack. The topic will appear on the conversation header beside the channel’s name.
You can add a channel topic, whether you’re using Slack on your phone or desktop. Check our tutorials below, and we’ll show you how to do it from both.
On your phone:
- Launch the Slack app from your home screen or app drawer and sign in to your account.
- Open the channel that you want to manage and tap its name on the conversation header.
- Tap the Edit option on the channel details page.
- Add the topic for your channel and select Save on the top right to apply the changes.
That’s how you add a topic description from the Slack mobile app. The topic will appear on the conversation header until you delete or edit it manually.
On your computer:
- Launch the Slack desktop or web app and sign in to your workspace.
- Open the channel that you want to manage and select its name on the conversation header.
- Click the Edit option on the right side of the Topic section.
- Add the topic that you want to display and click the Save button to confirm your decision.
To edit an existing topic, click it from the conversation header, enter the new topic, and save the changes. If you want to remove the topic, you can leave the field blank before clicking the save option.
To wrap it all up
Now that you know how to use topics on Slack, you can display your deadlines, dates, and other important information on a channel’s header, where every member can find them easily. Every channel member can edit or delete the topic of the conversation whenever they want.
That’s it! For more tips and tutorials, visit our page frequently, and read our latest posts and updates.