Customizing Your Gmail Display
Last Updated: October 3, 2021
If you don’t like how your Gmail currently looks, there’s a way to edit and customize the interface to have a better screen display.
You can freely change the background theme and color, inbox type, and even how you want each message to be shown off on your screen using Settings. In this guide, you’re going to learn all about them the easy way so that you can start making your Gmail display looks much better than ever.
1. Go to Gmail then log in to your account.
Go to the Gmail web browser and sign in to the account you want to edit the screen display.
2. Click the gear icon on the upper right side of the page.
Click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen to open the drop-down settings menu. You may change numerous features of your Gmail display with this new menu. The following options are density, theme, inbox type, and reading pane.
Don’t worry because, in this guide, we’ll be having an in-depth of each option so that you can better understand how they work.
This component defines how you want the displayed messages on your inbox to look. Clicking on the Settings button will present you with three options: Default, Comfortable, and Compact.
- It’s the standard format used in Gmail, and I’m sure this is the layout most users are familiar with — the preview message of the email is displayed with the attachments and their file names. As opposed to the other two, it allows you to quickly determine whether the message you received has attachments or not.
- The only difference between this format and the default is that you will only see the email’s preview line and an attachment logo on the right side whenever an email contains an attachment.
- This choice appears to be the most compressed of the three. The height of each email in your inbox is much smaller than the ones you can see when it’s on default, allowing you to see more messages on the entire screen.
Themes allow you to alter or change the background of your Gmail the way you want. Click “View all” to explore all of the other themes available, or add your photo to make it more personal.
After deciding which theme to apply to your account, click the “Save” button to apply the changes made.
This aspect allows you to edit which type of emails or messages you would want to see first or on the top of your inbox list. Choosing default will display the recent messages you’ve received first, but the other options allow you to display the important, unread, or starred depending on your preference at the top of your email list.
This feature allows you to view the contents of an email without having to open it. Gmail offers you three options for this: disable it, view content on the right side of the inbox, or below the inbox list. Keep in mind that you must reload the Gmail page for the changes in this feature to take effect.
You can edit the Gmail interfaces on both your desktop and mobile device; however, you have to note that there are fewer customization options for your mobile than the adjustments you can make on Gmail on your computer.
Nevertheless, these tips can significantly help you achieve a much pleasing look for your Gmail. And, what’s great about it is that you can keep changing them anytime and anywhere you like! Open your Gmail and start applying the new learnings you have.