Can You Remove Your Phone Number From Telegram?
Last Updated: February 4, 2021
Are you worried that people might know your phone number on Telegram? Do you want to remove it from the platform? Or do you want to hide it from strangers you meet on group chats and channels instead? We’ll answer all of your phone number privacy questions with our guide below.
Instead of using a username and password, Telegram uses phone numbers to identify each account. As such, you can’t remove your number from the app unless you choose to change it or delete your account.
If that’s the case, how can you prevent other people from viewing your number from your Telegram profile? Is there a way to hide it from people you don’t know?
Thankfully, Telegram allows its users to change their phone number privacy settings on their accounts. Although you can’t remove it from your account entirely, you can hide it from people that don’t know about it in the first place.
If you’re having trouble finding the option to change who can see your number, don’t worry, we’re here to help you. In our guide below, we’ll teach you how to hide your phone number from strangers you meet on Telegram.
How to hide your phone number in Telegram
If you want to hide your contact information from people you meet in group chats and channels on Telegram, you have the option to change your phone number’s privacy options. You can choose whether to show it to your contacts only or nobody on the platform.
Whether you’re using Telegram on your phone or computer, you can always change your phone number’s privacy settings. Here’s a quick tutorial on how to do it from both.
- Launch the Telegram app and sign-in to your account.
- At the top left corner of your screen, tap the hamburger icon to access the menu.
- Open Settings or tap your profile icon.
- Go to Privacy and Security.
- Under the Privacy section, select “Phone number.”
- Choose who can view your phone number. You can choose to show it to everyone, nobody, or your contacts only.
- If you choose to show it to no one, you can opt to prevent people who are not on your contacts to find you on the platform. However, people that saved your number to their phone’s address book beforehand can still see it.
- To save the changes, tap the checkmark icon at the top right corner of your screen.
That’s how you hide your phone number from people you meet on Telegram for Android. Please remember that everyone that saved your number in their phone’s address book beforehand can see your information no matter what setting you use.
Like other privacy options on Telegram, you can add people as exceptions from your phone number settings as well.
On your computer:
- Open the Telegram app for Windows and make sure to sign-in to your account.
- At the top left, open the menu, and click Settings.
- Head to Privacy and Security and change your phone number privacy options.
- Choose to show your number to nobody or your contacts only. If you choose the former, you can opt to hide your info to everyone aside from your contacts and those who have your number in the first place.
- To apply the changes to your settings, click the Save button at the bottom of the window.
Although you can hide your phone number from other people on Telegram, you can’t prevent your contacts from seeing it on the platform. While it won’t entirely remove your number from the platform, it can help keep your information private.
As for iOS users, the steps on changing your phone number settings are pretty similar to those of Android. To access the option to do so, head to Settings > Privacy and Security and tap “Phone number.”
To sum it all up
Now that you know how to hide your number on Telegram, you can now prevent strangers from accessing it from your profile. Although hiding your number doesn’t remove it from the platform, it can help improve your privacy online.
Please remember that you can’t hide your phone number from everyone on Telegram. Users that have your number saved in their phone’s address book beforehand can always see it when they check your profile.
That’s all on our guide about hiding your phone number on Telegram. We hope that we helped you improve your privacy settings on the app.
For the latest tips, tricks, and guides, hit the bookmark button, and don’t forget to visit us regularly for our daily posts and updates.